I’m delighted to participate in the 2019 Summer Blogging Challenge offered by my friend and fellow blogger, Nancy, at Nancy’s Point.
The challenge involves answering a series of random questions about ourselves and blogging.
In addition, as Nancy explains, this year’s challenge is a “blog hop” which means that it’s a chance for all who participate to “hop around” to other blogs and discover some new writers and maybe some new friends as well.
So, let’s get right to it. Here are the 14 random questions that Nancy has posed along with my responses.
1. Who are you? If applicable, share anything you want about your cancer (type, stage, when diagnosed, whatever.) Share something about yourself such as where you live, the name of your blog and its “mission”, a challenge you have faced or are facing now, or whatever you want.
I was diagnosed with stage I breast cancer a little over 26 years ago. I was only 35 years old at the time. There was no history of breast cancer in my family and the diagnosis was truly a shock “out of the blue.” After a second diagnosis of early stage breast cancer 12 years later, I got involved in breast cancer advocacy. I try to keep up with major developments in cancer research, and started this blog to share what I’m learning. I believe that being better informed helps us to be better advocates in our health care, for ourselves and for those we care about.
2. Have you ever participated in a blog hop before?
No, and I wasn’t sure what a blog hop was to be honest, but it sounds like a great idea for getting to know other bloggers.
3. What’s your favorite sort of blog post to write and/or read – personal story, informational, how to, controversial, political, opinion, or other?
I enjoy both writing and reading informational blog posts.
4. Describe yourself in three words. Yes, just three!
Adventurous, optimistic, persistent.
5. Name three of your favorite books from your youth (whatever age that means to you) that had an impact on you.
Children of the Covered Wagon by Mary Jane Carr, The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
6. What are you reading right now or what’s on your to-read list for when you have time?
My favorite genres are historical fiction and biography. I just finished reading Circe by Madeline Miller. I’m looking forward to reading First: Sandra Day O’Connor by Evan Thomas.
7. What’s your favorite dessert of all time?
I would have to say homemade apple pie with ice cream.
8. Tell us about a special pet you have, had or would like to have.
Our special pet is Rocco, a 12-year old Labrador retriever mix, who is very goofy and loves long rides in the car and exploring new walking or hiking trails. Chasing a variety of animals, from squirrels and rabbits to the deer that graze in our neighborhood is also high on his list of fun things to do!
9. What’s something people don’t know about you and might be surprised to learn?
I’ve lived in major metropolitan areas my whole life (Washington, D.C. and New York City), but am now happily adjusting to living in a semi-rural area near a small city (Charlottesville, Virginia).
10. Do you believe healthcare is a privilege or a right?
It is a right. I believe everyone should have access to quality, affordable health care.
11. What’s your favorite thing about blogging and/or reading blogs?
Making connections and sharing perspectives with readers and other bloggers.
12. What’s something you really suck at?
13. What’s something you’re pretty good at?
14. How do you escape from cancer (or life in general) worries?
The best escape for me is doing anything physical, such as walking, working out at the gym or playing golf. When I get the chance to travel, I love active vacations, particularly hiking in the southwestern United States. The photo above is from a hike a while back at one of my very favorite places, the Grand Canyon.
So that’s it for me! I enjoyed answering the questions. Please feel free to share you own answer to any question you’d like, or just a quick comment, below. Also be sure to hop over and see Nancy’s post with her answers as well as links to posts by the other bloggers who are participating in this challenge!
Photo by Lisa DeFerrari