I’m taking up a challenge posed by Nancy this past week in her post, “15 Random Facts & A Blogging Challenge Too!”. What a great way for any of us who read blogs or write blogs to get to know each other just a little better!
I enjoyed reading Nancy’s list of random facts about herself, as well as a number of subsequent posts over the last few days from other blogging friends who are participating in the challenge. I do hope that many more will join in the fun. If you don’t have a blog, just leave a comment below with a random fact or two about yourself.
So here goes–these are 15 random facts about me:
1. I grew up in Washington, D.C., where almost everybody seems to be from somewhere else.
2. I love piano and took lessons for about 8 years starting when I was six years old.
3. I also learned to play the cello a little when I was in high school.
4. When I was in college, I wrote articles regularly for the university newspaper and considered a career in journalism.
5. Several years ago, my husband and I “adopted” a 75-pound part-Labrador retriever who is very goofy and loves to go on hikes with us.
6. I once rode a bicycle 500 miles across the state of Iowa (over a week as a participant in an annual event called RAGBRAI).
7. My favorite state is Utah, with its amazing natural beauty.
8. On a recent trip to Utah, I flew in a very small plane (6 passengers) over a mountain range, something I never thought I would do but turned out to be great fun.
9. I love exploring ancient pueblo Indian ruins and rock art sites in the western United States.
10. Someday I would love to go to Machu Picchu.
11. I enjoy reading, especially historical fiction.
12. My brother, John DeFerrari, is an author and blogger who writes about Washington, D.C. history at Streets of Washington and inspired me to start my blog.
13. I’ve been playing tennis for over 40 years and still play every Saturday morning.
14. A few years ago, I also took up golf, which I had never thought of as a “real” sport before but now I am hooked.
15. My favorite meal is breakfast and I always look forward to a great cup of coffee in the morning.